National Rubber Ducky Day
Mark your calendars! Saturday January 13th is National Rubber Ducky Day. Our research did not uncover the origins of National Rubber Ducky Day. But, the inspiration might be traced to the children’s television series “Sesame Street,” where in 1970, Muppet Ernie sings “Rubber Duckie,” an anthem for his beloved yellow bath toy. According to the first Sesame Street calendar, published in 1972, Rubber Duckie’s birthday is January 13th.
So, how, exactly might one celebrate National Rubber Ducky Day? Here are just a few ideas:
- Add to—or start—a collection of rubber ducks for yourself or a friend.
- Give a rubber duck to each of your siblings, classmates, roommates, coworkers, employees, or customers.
- Organize a duck hunt where you hide rubber ducks (Easter-egg style) and invite friends over to search for them.
- Write a short story, song, or poem with your rubber duck as the hero. Race your rubber ducks—down a slide, around the tub, or on ice (hockey style).
- Take duck face selfies of you and your yellow bathtub friends and post them on social media.